Friday, August 31, 2012

Ode to HAIR

Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there - hair

Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere .......

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair

Flow it, show it
Long as I can grow it
My hair
(from the Broadway play HAIR)


The days are numbered for my hair.  People tell me it's not a big deal - "it's only hair".  Well, it is after all only my hair. 

And it is a BIG deal.  Companies make billions of dollars from hair products.  People want thicker, straighter, curler, blond, red, black, weaved, permed oh.... and let's not forget Rogaine - people WANT hair!  It is part of our identity - who we are.  How many women have said "I'm having a bad hair day" or told another woman that their hair looks great?!  

HAIR

Maybe it seems shallow or vain to focus on losing my hair when the poison that is taking away my hair could save my life.  BUT still.... 

I wanted a "proper" send off for my HAIR.

So I found some pictures of my hair over the years... 


Left corner:  Nursery School - 4 yrs  Right corner: 3rd grade  Bottom Left: 6th Grade  Bottom Right: 7th Grade


 
Left Corner: Sophmore  Right Corner: Junior  Bottom: Senior


I had "several" interesting hair styles since high school.  At one time my hair was PERMED - thankfully that was a VERY short phase..... ugh


Then came the short, dark hair phase...  




By the time Scott and I got married in 2007 - it was back to blond and a little longer...

  2011

 
August 2012
 

TODAY






So goodbye to my hair... I have about a week left of looking like myself.  I will miss my hair! We've had a good run!! I know it will grow back ..... hopefully NOT looking like that perm! 

  


6 comments:

  1. Very cute post! I love your hair, and it is a big deal. (like I say, it a good trade off though)You will rock the bald look. Lova ya momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog. Losing your hair IS a big deal- no matter what people say! You are amazing and are such a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeri, You are awesome! and hair is a Big Deal! I just lost my Mom (3 weeks ago tomorrow) and in all her 86 years, I think one of the hardest things she dealt with was feeling like she never had 'pretty hair.' It contributed to a miriad of self-esteem issues for her. The wig was just part of Mom to all of us, but it was a trial for her. I hope the hair-stealing meds do the job they're supposed to do, and give you plenty of time to get your beautiful hair back! Love ya tons, and praying for you!! <3 Gini Cates

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you. This post was great. Your hair is looking fabulous these days too... but I think I would rather have bald Jeri than no Jeri.

    Also... can we talk about how you were such a babe in high school?! You could have easily been on the Brady Bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful Jeri! Love the hairdos! So proud of you staring this in the face.....even when it's so tough. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeri, you have the greatest posts! When I was losing my hair I let my grand daughter cut as much as she wanted to (she was only three). She had a great time. Then Dan cut the rest of it off for me. It was easier for me to have it cut off than to watch if fall out. The sad part is even after the hair falls out the follicles can still hurt. (Sorry to share that, but you like the truth.)

    ReplyDelete