Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chemo Treatment #1

The wait is over. My port, body and I came face to face with the chemo infusion needle Friday, August 24th at approximately 12:05 pm.

Scott and I actually left the house at 9:45 to run a couple of errands on our way for my 11:00 appointment with my doctor. I REALLY needed to stop at the drug store and pick up my anti-nausea medicine.  That's a HIGH on the TO DO list!!   


Scott and me leaving the house.  
We are ready for this!!
  
My appointment was at 11:00.  I first had my blood sucked, for testing, from my PORT.  This was a totally new experience (another one) as I've had blood drawn from my one vein in my right arm since Feb 2009 when my ITP went crazy.  AND when I had chemo for my ITP last year (4 weeks) I had the IV in an arm each time. So getting stuck in the chest in my PORT made me a little nervous.  I DID NOT feel a thing!!  IT WAS WONDERFUL.  Another blessing!!

I then met with Dr. Bott. at 11:00.  I have to say - he is a marvelous, kind and very knowledgeable man and I'm so grateful to have him on my side!  He asked how I was feeling and looked at my chopped up body from surgery to see if he felt my little ole' body was ready to take on the chemo poison.  And I was!  GOOD - let's get this fight finished!! We had a little discussion about the difference between the Rituxen I had for ITP last year and the incredibly harsh, strong, kill every cell that re-generates - chemo drugs I'm getting this time.  Oh Rituxen... how I miss you!

Scott and I then went into the chemo room and found a corner - there were about 16 other people there at that time. I think I was the only newbie.  Scott got me some ice chips, I leaned back in the recliner - put my blanket around my legs and my lovely "prayer shawl" (from my friend Ruth) on my arms.  Opened my PINK bag (from my friend Lyn) pulled out my goodies and toys and I was ready to go! And go we did! 


I was first given a couple of IV's for nausea - oh yeh!! Those I want!!  Then I had some benedryl.... which I don't remember much after that.  I slept!  That stuff makes me so tired.  I then had an IV (one at a time) of each chemo drug.  The last was Herceptin which took 1 1/2 hours to drip into my body.  


We left around 5:15 pm.  LONG day.  I think, since I slept for a hour or two, Scott played games on his iPad while I laid there in the recliner with my mouth hanging open (no pictures!!).  When I was awake he was getting me Sun Chips (salt sounded good) water and ice chips.  He was an excellent CHEMO BUDDY!! I sure do love this guy!

When we got home there were 3 PINK balloons attached to my mailbox and 3 PINK balloons attached to our welcome bear. So 6 balloons for each of my tough treatments.  I brought them in and tied them around my bannister.  These were from Jenni and her family!!  Thanks - these made me smile when we pulled up to the house!!


Once inside I found a vase of beautiful flowers, a divine cupcake from Dippidee (which I ate in 2.3 seconds - I did share with Scott)  and a sweet card from Annie and her family.  She told me that Max thought I would like PINK flowers.  (notice no cupcake - it was gone!)



Well, I've never been a fan of the color of Pink.  But I'm telling you - since July 3rd it has become my new favorite color.  Mostly for what it represents to me:  All the millions of women worldwide that are fighting breast cancer and fighting to save their lives - for more time with the ones they love.  It represents a journey of redefining priorities and strengthening relationships with family and increasing faith in God and the unknown.  It represents these many "angels" in my life that are my neighbors and friends that are coming out of the woodwork to support me.  They, along with my loving family,  are touching my life deeper then I even dreamed possible.  Even with the several (ok - many) meltdowns I have had, I am finding a renewed strength and power that has laid dormant for awhile. 

I don't think I'm one to whine much (at least I hope I'm not) but I have been down a few rough roads and had a few tough challenges during the past 15 years.  Through all those challenges I have learned that there is no clear road in my (or anyone's)  life.  Actually - life is more about Plan B, C and I think I'm on Plan D.  I have a lovely friend (Suzy Toronto) who sent me this thought (among many) but it fits.  

Everything always works out in the end...
if it hasn't worked out yet,
it's just not the end!

Time to get ready to  go back to the doctor's office today (Saturday) for a shot of Neulasta to help keep my white blood cells happy.  Now if the nausea will just go totally away!!

4 comments:

  1. Jeri, You are amazing! Thank you for sharing with us! I thought of you all day yesterday and am glad everything went well! My dear friend Claire works in the iv infusion area for chemo with dr. Bott, so I know you will have angels taking care of you! Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you see the Angels! We are all holding and surrounding you with strength, hope, and faith. We love you and Scott!!
    Love, Bruce and Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeri--you are amazing!! Wish we were closer so we could help more. Love you and Scott. Cary and Robyn and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea of your blogspot. I'm sure everyone else does too. You are are beautiful inside and out Jeri. Love ya! Colette

    ReplyDelete