Monday, August 6, 2012

I Want It All!

Not surprising - confusion and questions abound when a family member or friend is diagnosed with cancer.  I will try to do a little clarification - at least to the point that I understand.

My daughter questions why I need chemo or at the very least a mild chemo with few treatments as the tumor was removed and my lymph nodes were "clear".  I must agree that she has excellent points so I will try to explain....

My cancer is classified as HER2+ breast cancer.  The HER2 gene is responsible for making HER2 protein. When two copies of the gene are present in normal amounts, the protein plays an important role in normal cell growth and development. This is good and normal and the story for 75% of those diagnosed with breast cancer.

So the other 25% of women (me) with breast cancer have a genetic alteration in the HER2 gene that produces an increased amount of the growth factor receptor protein on the tumor cell. This over-kill of growth protein causes the cells to divide, multiply, and grow more rapidly than normal. Research has shown that women with HER2+ breast cancer have a more aggressive disease, greater likelihood of recurrence, poorer prognosis, and decreased survival compared to women with HER2- breast cancer (75%).

Some of us have ALL the luck!

The abnormal gene only starts in breast cancer cells but can spread - quickly.  So this is one reason that my treatment isn't an open and shut quick case.

The second reason... my doctor did say after surgery that my lymph nodes were clear.  However, the final pathology report came back showing metastasized cancer in one lymph node.  Also, there is no way to ever know that every cancer cell was "removed" during surgery.  Most likely I have other little cancer cells floating around in my body.  There can be micro-metastases that can't even be picked up by scans.

Once you receive the big "C" diagnoses you must decide for yourself how to fight for your health, your future and your life.


I want it all!

1 comment:

  1. With a family that looked like that I would too! Keep up the good fight. Missing you at work.

    -Marilee

    ReplyDelete