Thursday, August 9, 2012

What's NOT to Like About CHEMO???

A PORT: 
Yes - it's ugly - kindof a big BUMP in my skin.  Plus you can see the "tube" running up my neck. 


BUT - the PORT will save my veins from being stabbed and abused throughout my treatment. PLUS - the way the Port is installed - the Chemo is pushed  by the heart and distributed more quickly throughout my body.  Apparently, that will be easier on me as well.  So I might have to "like" my Port. 


The DRUGS:

 Taxotere- SIDE EFFECTS:  
low white/red  blood cell count
fluid retention with WEIGHT GAIN
neuropathy
nausea
diarrhea
mouth sores
HAIR LOSS (except I will still need to shave my legs)
Fatigue (apparently - a lot!)
Infection
Nail Change (color and/or LOSS)
Vomiting
Muscle/bone/joint pain
Low Platelet Count (as if I haven't heard THAT before!)
Liver functioning Issues

Paraplatin - SIDE EFFECTS:
Nausea
Vomiting
Taste Changes
HAIR LOSS
Weakness
Blood abnormalities
abdominal pain
Diarrhea 
Constipation
Mouth Sores
Infection
Neuropathy
Dizziness
Confusion
Visual changes/problems
Ringing in the ears or hearing loss

Herceptin - SIDE EFFECTS: (this drug I will take until August 2013)
Headache
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain
back pain
infection
flu-like symptoms
vomiting
cough
shortness of breath
pharyngitis
insomnia
rash
dizziness
swelling
HEART issues
  
Of course this is a huge list of side effects - and most likely I won't get ALL of them.  Some are definitely going to happen.  Losing the hair will happen - 17 days after the first treatment.  Nausea is huge as well but there is an anti nausea IV I receive during treatment and pills to take at home.  Apparently, drinking lots of water and sucking on ice chips help.  Weakness, fatigue, swelling, appetite changes, aches and pains, constipation (me for sure) are the most common.  I definitely WILL NOT like these problems. 

Is there anything to "LIKE" about Chemo?
                                  Positive Side Effects: 

Survival
Remission
Hanging with my kids 
Watching my grandchildren grow up
Being with Scott until we are old and gray  

There is SO MUCH more to "like" than "not like" about Chemo!  Chemo will SAVE my life! Go CHEMO!!  Do your BEST work for me!!  I am on "your" side! We will fight this ugly, evil cancer together~




 

1 comment:

  1. Hey I wish they had done a port for me - no one could figure out why my surgeon didn't put one in - but chemo killed my veins. I had to get stuck every time I went in (6 chemos) and it totally blew out my veins, not to mention the scar tissue there now. Getting blood drawn or an IV now is a huge pain! Ports are good! :)

    ~ Lyn

    ReplyDelete