Friday, January 25, 2013

Please... Stop the Guilt!

 I was visiting with my dear friend Paul the week before my surgery.  I mentioned to him some of the CRAZY things people have said to me since finding out I have cancer.  I know most people mean well and for the most part it has been fairly humorous.  It does bother me when a person actually thinks that I or anyone else have caused our own cancer.   Paul said I should write a book.  Well, a blog is as close as I'm gonna get....

IF you rid yourself of your anger
Your cancer will be cured.

Ok.. I'm not sure if this person REALLY knows me.  I am not a very angry person.  NOT that I don't get mad/angry at times but as a whole I'm a pretty accepting person. If I do have a day when I'm upset - I usually let it out and then I'm good to go. I don't think my "anger" caused my cancer.

So please.... don't tell a person with a terminal disease (or anything!) to rid themselves of anger.  That is not helpful.
You're lucky!
 At least you know what you will die from.

Hmmm.... yeh... lucky.  Does this really need a comment?

IF you had eaten more vegetables
 (throw in here fruits, soy, lentils, grass juice, etc.)
You wouldn't have got cancer.

First off - thanks for guiltying me about my eating habits.  Second off - no one really knows my eating habits.  As an FYI all of us have cancer cells in our bodies.  YES - all of us! Yes, healthy eating is a plus for everyone but telling a person who has cancer that they caused it because of their eating style?  This is not helpful. 

One person mentioned that they had read "somewhere" that
Cancer feeds and grows on the sugar a person has eaten
throughout their entire life. 

Please see above. (I like sugar!)

Totally delicious!  Thanks Jill~

I know how you feel and if I had your cancer I would.....

I appreciate empathy - I truly do. But unless someone has had both breasts removed, gone through chemo and hair loss, nausea, nails lifting, swelling body and neuropathy all at the same time, they really don't know how I feel.  This is true with any illness whether physical or emotional. I'm great with hearing what other people have tried or done but I don't what to hear "if I had cancer I would...."  you really don't know what you would do.

Giving support by thinking of the person, offering help,  praying for the person, dropping in for a visit, bringing dinner... excellent!  Thank you.. perfect, just what is needed and so appreciated. 

Gee, that's really rotten that you "got" cancer.
 I'm glad it's not me

<sigh> It is "rotten" and I'm glad it's not you, either!

Oh, you're lucky it's only breast cancer
OR
you've got the "good kind" of cancer

ONLY....  The American Cancer Society has released these stats for the United States for 2013:
       1 in 8 (12%) women will have breast cancer sometime in their life
       232,340 new cases of IDC (which I have) will be reported in 2013
       39,620 women will die from breast cancer this year
       Breast Cancer is the second leading cause of death for women only exceeded by lung cancer
       Most funding goes towards research and early detection not treatment
GOOD KIND.... really!
I'm sorry to share my problems
with all you are going through.

I can totally appreciate people feeling this way.  But for me personally, I want to know what is happening to my family and friends.  I want to still be a part of their life.  It's actually good for someone dealing on a daily basis with a life threatening illness to think of others.  We all have struggles in our lives.  It does not make your struggle any less because I have cancer.  Please don't feel guilty about sharing yourself with me or feel bad for what you are dealing with.  Please don't avoid me.  It's life.  My cancer is my struggle right now and you have yours.

I am truly lucky and feel so blessed to have so many dear and thoughtful family and friends.  I hurt for those that are not as fortunate (sadly there are many). I appreciate so many thoughtful words, prayers and actions where I have been the recipient.

January 25, 2013 - 1 week from surgery
AS A SIDE NOTE....
It's been 1 week today since my surgery. I'm off pain pills (maybe one at night) WAHOO and am feeling pretty good.  My legs, from my thighs to my feet, are GIGANTICALLY swollen.

I saw the doc on Tuesday and now he wants me back next Tuesday to check the swelling.

AT LEAST it's not summer so long pants are comfortable!! I will require one more surgery - sometime in the next month or two. But everything considered - THINGS ARE GOOD!!!!




3 comments:

  1. Personally I think it's because you're a Packers fan! ;) Hahaha! J/K everyone. Jeri knows I'm teasing - just poking fun at the ridiculousness of it all. Unfortunately I got some of those same kinds of comments too. I choose to think people are well-meaning but just make some truly ignorant and unintentionally thoughtless comments. I've *had* cancer and I don't pretend to know what you must be going through because your experience is different than mine was (and personally, I think you've had to deal with way more than I did as I've expressed to you) I wouldn't wish the cancer experience on anyone. Nevertheless, you've been a wonderful example of dealing with it, and sharing your journey, and for that I am thankful. Hugs. <3

    ~ Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was after five years of being cancer-free and a "good" friend told me "See, it was no big deal. Why were you so upset?" Well, being told my life expectancy was 2-5 years was a bit nerve-wracking.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your blog, I saw the link on the sidebar of Annie's blog. You are so inspiring in your strength and positivity. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was in college. She was lucky she had a doctor who was breast-obsessed and found it pretty early. But if there's one thing I learned then, and I'm learning again now, it's that people have a LOT of opinions about what goes on in another woman's body. It's frustrating. I think my mom hid away from neighbor women for a year just to avoid their comments. My morning sickness (which I am not in any way trying to put on the same grounds as anyone fighting cancer), has gotten a lot of the same unsolicited judgement. Such as "your body must just be de-toxing all the awful foods and things you put into it." (I eat all organic and healthy. What awful things? What are you saying?); or "You just need to think of something else, it's all in your head." (From a man. So glad he knows what he's talking about!). Something about our culture makes people feel invited to put in their two cents with everyone they talk to, I don't get it. Anyway. You are an inspiring person and a great writer, and I hope it's not too weird that I dropped in for a comment, since we hardly know each other.

    ReplyDelete