Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Tubes (not the subway in London)

WARNING: This post contains pictures that might be disturbing to some (especially disturbing to me!)

My daughter mentioned to several people that under the influence of drugs, I am quite amusing. Apparently, I came up with being hit in the chest with a dodge ball in 4th grade and this pain did not compare.  This was in reference to the pain in my chest after my surgery.  I have yet to come up with comic relief for the tubes and drains attached and flowing from my body.

Tubes and Drains number 1 and 2:   On each side of me, I have the attached Tubes  that pull fluid into the Drain.  The Drain is in place to prevent fluids from building up and causing too much swelling and bruising.  Well, apparently these "drains" haven't heard of ITP peeps as bruising is our middle name.  As it's a little difficult right now for me to manuver all these things... Scott will empty the drains about every 8 hours. He also will "strip" the tubes which means he'll slide his fingers down the tubes pushing whatever is in the tubes into the drain.  I generally hold onto the top of the tupe which is connected INSIDE my body so it doesn't get pulled while being stripped.  A nurse brought tears to my eyes one day as she didn't do that and I thought she was pulling out the tube... believe me - not fun. 


The next gadget I have attached to my body is a "pain pump".  It contains Lidocaine which helps control the pain in the surgery area. It is attached, once again, directly into my body.  I have a bag that the Tube runs to which holds the pain pump (pictured).  This runs constantly.  Once the pump swivels up to the size of a plum - the Tubes can be removed.


I also had a "Bard Power Port" placed during surgery.  This is where the nurse will feed the IV into me for the Chemo treatments and also take blood samples, when needed.  This avoids being stuck with a needle multiple times especially when the veins are weakened from chemo.  This was placed under my collar bone (no picture) and is under the skin.

The port is attached to a small, soft tube called cathether.  The cathether is placed inside one of the large central veins that take blood to your heart.  When a needle is inserted it creates "access" to your bloodstream.  Because the port places the chemo directly into your vein, the chemo mixes better in your blood and is less harmful to your veins. 

For some exciting reason, I also received a bracelet, key card and ID card for the Bard power port that I'm to have with me at all times.  Apparently this is to alert any medical staff - should I be involved in an emergency - that I have a port and what type. 

So there you have it for today... my mechanical report.  Hopefully, if all goes well, I will be free of all these devices except the port by Friday, August 3rd.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jeri, you're almost BIONIC !! I'm amazed at the gizmos you have going on here. I'm also glad to hear that they will be gone next week. Keep on going on, you're doing GREAT. Wish I could come up with a little humor for you but I'm lost on that one. -Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan drained by tubes and drains. I had to hold them too when he did that. Your pain pump is a new thing (did not have that, but would have loved it). I had one of the first Power ports input in Utah. Some people at the hospital did not know how to use it because it was not a "normal" power port. Scott is a saint like Dan. It makes a big difference having a supportive spouse. I could not have made it without Dan.
    Big hugs,
    Marilee
    p.s. thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your getting better fast and you can be free of all tubes & Drains fast. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete