Friday, July 13, 2012

Sometime Earlier - Seems Forever Ago

May 2012 - Orlando, Florida.  I found a lump.  I didn't think too much of it.  Gynecologists will tell you to check it again in a few days.  If it's still there, give it a few days later.  If you can still feel it after a week or so, visit your doctor.  By the end of May nothing had changed.  I knew I had an appointment with my GYN in June so not to worry.  June came as did the appointment.  I was told to get a mammogram as soon as possible.  So soon, in fact, the doctor wanted to make the appointment for me.

Once in for the mammogram, neither the technician nor the radiologist could really "see" a problem.  The next step was a sonogram.  The radiologist stated several times that it looked "odd" and "not good" but he didn't think it looked like cancer.  He gave me the option of going home and "watching" it for a couple of months or have a biopsy.  I was there so opted for the biopsy.  Don't get me wrong.. I'm not crazy about having a biopsy... they are not pleasant! But who wants to watch a lump for several months??  Besides, I had a biopsy in 2009 and it was benign so I wasn't even nervous or worried.  SURPRISE!

In the past 10 days I have met with the surgeon (Thursday), had an MRI (Friday), phone call from the surgeon with bad news (Monday - 3 more possible tumors), had 3 biopsies (Wednesday), received MORE bad news from the surgeon (Thursday), brought 2 wigs and 1 scarf (so far) in preparation for chemo (Friday) and FINALLY received some good news (Friday). 
 
This is what I've learned over the past week.   I have Grade 2 (not the same as stage) Invasive Ductal Cancer.  It is invasive as the cancer cells have left the duct and are moving.  Cancer has a grade for movement. Grade 1 is moving but slowly.  Grade 2 is moving faster.  Grade 3 is all over the place.  My tumor is approx 2 centimeters which is about 1 inch long.  The "good" points about "my" cancer (apparently I'm now owning it) is that this is the most common breast cancer so there are some great drugs out there for treatment.  Prognosis is good.  GOOD news received was that the other 3 possible tumors were BENIGN! So glad... at least I know my body isn't full of tumors...knock on wood!

The "Not So Good" news is that I am HER2 positive AND EP receptor (estrogen - progesterone) positive.  

In about 20% to 25% of breast cancers, the cancer cells make too much of a protein known as HER2. These breast cancers tend to be much more aggressive and fast-growing. I will receive an IV drug called Herceptin during my chemo treatment and then once a month for a year once chemo is completed.  Herceptin has fewer immediate side effects than chemotherapy -- for example, there is usually no nausea or hair loss. However, there is a  real risk of heart damage and possible lung damage. Hence an ECKO, to get a baseline of my heart, prior to starting the drug.

About 75% of all breast cancers are “ER positive.” They grow in response to the hormone estrogen. About 65% of these are also “PR positive.” They grow in response to another hormone, progesterone. If you are positive with both, you are considered EP receptor positive.  I will start the endocrine treatment after my chemotherapy is finished. This is designed to help prevent recurrence of the disease by blocking the effects of estrogen. Right now the plan is to take the drug tamoxifen every day for FIVE years. 

I start my road down cancer street with taking 1/2 water pill every once in awhile as my only prescription drug.  Amazingly, I will be filled with all kinds of toxins and poisons for who knows how long.  It's a miracle to me that poison can save your life!  One thing that I have yet to discuss with any doctor is that I am already auto-immune compromised due to NO spleen. When I asked my former (who I will NEVER go back to) oncologist what problems I could encounter without a spleen... her answer was "nothing unless you get cancer"...... OH GOODIE! 

This is what is coming up next week.  Meet with plastic surgeon in the morning and have an ECKO on my heart in the afternoon on Monday, July 16th.  Meet with my surgeon who is doing the operation on Tuesday.  I'm sure there will be more coming but surgery is scheduled for Friday, July 20th.



No comments:

Post a Comment