Saturday, October 27, 2012

Chemo #4 - The Aches of It All

Chemo #4 - Round 1 - what a day!! So many people freaked me out about Chemo #3... which had it's moments, but #4 ... hmmm

 

SO excited to go.....



This is the chemo  routine.

Of course, you must first leave your house.  Thursday we had an exciting drive as it had snowed/rained and there were FIVE major accidents between Pleasant Grove and Orem.  (one highway patrol car was smashed)  Once we arrived alive the normal routine followed:

1. Give receptionist your name

2. Called back to the lab for the IV catheter - and blood sucking

I wondered what I was in for when the lab nurse took a running leap to stab the IV catheter into my port.  OUCH!!! I thought I'd pass out!  (the IV catheter was readjusted before chemo started)


3. Weighted!  (yuck) this must happen as your chemo cocktail is mixed  proportionately to your weight. So very depressing as apparently the chemo mix for Breast Cancer is the one CHEMO that women gain weight on....  OF COURSE!
 
This is Cameron. He is the one that ALWAYS weighs me and takes me to "the" room.
4. Sit in examine room waiting for doctor

5. Doc checks for any swelling in your lymph nodes and punches around your organs.  Checks blood results.  If everything is a "go" then...

6. Stampede into the chemo room to get your favorite chair

7. Sit and wait for your chemo cocktail.  (this wait has been close to an hour at times depending on the number of people showing up at that time)

8. Chemo cocktail hooked up...  and we're off.


 
9. We all sleep - well, I sleep, Scott watches movies or plays games on his iPad.




10. After hours of infusion .........

 

               we are freed!!

Getting ready to be unhooked from the catheter



Leaving is a challenge.  My body has been dumped full of fluids.  My legs and arms feel so heavy.  I feel like I am in a mason jar with all this water pressure pushing down on me. Very uncomfortable.  No spring in my step as I leave the building!

The next  day I go back to the doctor's office and receive a shot of Neulasta which is to toughen up your white blood cells.  Chemo really kicks the crap out of those little cells.  Side effects for Neulasta is generally deep body aches.  So I immediately take an Aleve and a Claritin, which seems odd, but this combo seems to help... a little.

I generally don't feel to awful until about 12 - 24 hours after chemo.  About 8 Friday night I was nauseous... not a fun way to go to bed.  The Zofran helps but it's still there.  My body started aching and by Saturday morning everywhere on my body (especially my neck??) is tender and aches. Nausea is still happening even after the pill.  Crackers are just not making it!

I'm hoping by Sunday evening I'll feel better so I can go to work on Monday. I haven't been into the office for almost 2 weeks as on top of everything else... I've had a cold and sore throat.  Ahhh the joys of having a compromised immune system! 

BUT - I'm doing good! Side effects could be so much worse.  Scott takes good care of me, my kids call and those close take care of me and my wonderful neighbors are serving up some delicious meals.  Is it crazy for me to feel blessed when I have cancer?  Not crazy at all!!







3 comments:

  1. I'm here praying that the 4th chemo will take it easy on you. I do know that you can do it cause you are doing it and with that wonderful smile of yours. It is ok not to always be brave. You can take a little break from being "oh you are so strong". Then put that smile back on and keep going as each day is a new day and a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete