Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sometimes You Need A Break

Treatment number FIVE is approaching SO fast.  It seems like each treatment day arrives quicker than the last one.  I had a rough go of it the last time.  It took me almost an entire week to feel half-way decent.


I wanted a break. I NEEDED a break from cancer, chemo and side effects.  One week after #4 my hands, from my finger tips past my  knuckles, turned bright, HOT red.  They were burning.  It looked like I had stuck my hands in scaling water.  They were painful and swollen.  On Saturday, when they hadn't got any better, I called the on-call oncologist.  He said he had seen that side effect a time or two - it's fairly RARE (of course) from the drug Taxotere.  Nothing could be done.  Oh YEH.... watch this...




OUCH
I have used lotions, vitamin B oil, aloe vera, ice packs, cold water.. anything but heat.  Those things relieved the pain temporarily but as of today (T minus 2 days til #5) my  hands are still red.  Not AS red but still red AND peeling.   It's like the chemo is working it's way out of my body up through my hands.  Lovely~

I had a long weekend coming - Veterans Day - and had planned a little mini trip for a get away.  Our plans fell through.... sigh.  Sadness at no plans and feeling TICKED OFF at my hands and body (as a whole) hit me.

My incredibly wonderful husband decided to send me to Wisconsin to visit my oldest son Rusty, his wife Collette and almost 18 month old grandson Owen. 

I love this guy!

My main squeeze

 Scott booked me a FIRST class ticket - so I could be away from as many people as possible (low immune system)... and off I flew.  IT. WAS. GREAT.
 
Owen feeds himself and loves jam!

I love that smile!!

He loves his bath...

....and his dad

....and his mom

.. and playing at the park - such a cutie!



Owen hated to leave the swings

He's a climber...

and not scared of wild animals (which one is the wild one?)

He's always good for a laugh

and he loves books!!!
Rusty, Collete and Owen treated me like a Queen.  I didn't lift a finger.  Collette fixed delicious meals (I GAINED weight while there) and Owen entertained me with help from his dad and mom.  I had such a wonderful visit! 

We almost got him to smile!!
 It was JUST what I needed!! 

3 comments:

  1. The side effects on your hands looks pretty miserable. I'm glad you got away from your worries and was able to visit Owen. What a cutey he is. Rusty and Colette are a cute couple as well.
    I want to do lunch when you can and are up to it.
    I love ya Jeri!

    Colette Hudson

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you made good memories with your family. We hope and pray #5 will go fast and uneventful. We love you and wish you the best.

    love, Bruce and Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you got time away I think I would tell the Dr #5 is off for a few weeks then do another but maybe your bady can not handle it all at one time

    ReplyDelete