Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's All About the Rope You Choose


On Tuesday I decided I felt good enough to go into work (well, until about 12:30). This was going to be my FIRST day in the office since the great Hair Buzz.  I was a tad nervous about my debut.

Enter... friend Jill.  Jill and I sit next to each other at work.  While I was out for surgery, Jill came to visit me and brought me a gift.  It was a black T-shirt with the words "Hair is overrated.... anything for a friend" written on the front.  She told me that if the time came that I needed to wear that shirt ....she would wear her's to work with me.  Tuesday was that time.  Jill showed up to work wearing her shirt and hat. Funny that such a small thing could mean so much and help me emotionally.

My lovely friend Jill and I
(I have a red hair piece on with the hat)

That same day both my supervisor and the deputy director, of the agency where I work, stopped at my desk to offer their support. Wednesday I was able to meet a good friend for lunch. He wanted to make sure I was doing alright.  Other friends throughout the week  would check on me by stopping me in the office or sending emails or instant messages.  My neighborhood friends would stop me on the street as I was doing my nightly walks to check on me.  What wonderful people I have in my life! 

Earlier in the month another friend, Marilee, invited me to go with her to the Susan G Komen luncheon.  I agreed to go thinking that since it was a week following my second chemo treatment - all would be good.  Up until Saturday morning I wasn't sure if I would make it.  GOOD GRIEF!  If chemo #2 side effects have been this "un-fun" what will happen with 3, 4, 5 and 6??? (As a side note - the doctor is changing my nausea meds for next time.  We are hoping that will make some difference with the terrible headache!!)

My amazing friend Marilee and I

Anyway, I DID go with Marilee to the luncheon on Saturday.  I am so grateful she invited me!  I had such a good time.  Marilee has been a survivor for 6 years - I'm so happy for her!  She felt it would be nice for me to meet other people who have dealt with breast cancer so I would not feel so alone. So many amazing people there. This was not a club I wanted to join - no one does - but it felt good not to be alone. I feel alone too much as it is.                       (I have no idea why this pic is so small)
 
 The Keynote speaker was Mary Nickles from Channel 2.  She finished chemo in May (lucky gal).  She was very enjoyable.  I ventured up to her table as I was leaving (no one was chatting with her) and spoke with her for a few minutes.  She said my name sounded familiar..... cool!  We chatted about my treatment and hers.  She wished me well then gave me a hug.  Marilee was there to snap a picture of us. 


Mary Nickles and I
(thought I'd go with the blonde hair piece)

It's amazing when things seem the toughest someone throws me a rope.  Thankfully I'm smart enough to grab it!  My rope this past week has been the many wonderful friends, new and old, that I have in my life.  When I was feeling sick, discouraged, nervous or alone someone said or did something that lifted me up a little more so I could continue to fight like a girl - and kick some cancer butt!  

Me in my 'Fight like a girl' hat and exercise duds
(don't be fooled... I wasn't exercising)



1 comment:

  1. You are truly a star!!!! Such a trooper..... thanks for keeping us all posted, it's great to read your blog and you share with all of us what you are going through!

    ReplyDelete