Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chemo #2 - Another Day of Poison


This round of chemo started out pretty much like the first... which is good news.  I didn't sleep at all the night before - anxious and hopeful that this time would go as smoothly.  My doctor told me that each treatment is unpredictable as to how "the patient's body" will react.  I feel like I'm playing a game of darts.  If I hit the bulls-eye I'll have mild effects but anywhere out of that.... it's anyone's guess what will happen.


But I'm getting ahead of myself... several weeks ago I wrote about taking off my acrylic nails.  Well, they are finally gone.  After letting them grow out for almost 2 months - I had the last little bit removed.  Keep in mind - I have had either polish or acrylic on my nails since 1970.  YEP... Junior High and I never went longer than 2 weeks without doing my nails. So this is a SHOCK to my system....



I can't pick up anything... or even TYPE very well without my nails..... UGH

Anyway, back to THE DREADED CHEMO saga....

Here I am as we are leaving for treatment with my little bald head but cute hat holding up the #2 for my second treatment.  (note the lovely flowers from my friends up North)


I met with Dr. Bott at 10:20.  He asked me about all my symptons - told me my blood work was excellent and.... chuckling a little.. mentioned that my platelet count is 495,000!! HOLY COW.... this is a FAR cry from the 7,000 - life threatening count that I receive (and had to cancel my Cabo trip) in January of 2011.  Apparently, Rituxten (chemo) did the trick (knock on wood) for my platelets!  Now I can only hope and pray that my combo treatment does the trick for my cancer!!

After the doc visit, we found us a couple of chairs close to the corner we prefer.  About 30 minutes later my concoction is mixed and ready to be delivered.  I first receive the nausea drip as I did last week... HURRAY for that stuff!!  Then I get a bag full of benedryl.  


It didn't really matter that I didn't sleep the night before as I slept for about an hour...... ahhh so restful! (for the record, I do not take attractive sleeping pictures!)

After the benedryl bag was empty 
I was started, one by one, on my three chemo drugs.  












We were done and left around 3:15.
  We finished an hour earlier this time as the last drug was a shorter version.

So far, I am having basically the same symptoms.  Some nausea but not much - just pop one of those pills, eat a cracker and I'm good to go.  I'm drinking LOTS of water to try and keep away mouth sores and flush the chemo out of my body.  I've got a little more fatigue this time and my headache seems worse.  Last time the headache lasted 3 days after the chemo.  I'm enjoying a nice flushed looked that just started and will probably last 2 more days.  All in all - if this is the total of my side effects this time - I will be so grateful and feel so blessed.  So many people known to me and not known have been praying for me and sending positive thoughts.  I am such a lucky person!

Kindof a scary self portrait .... eek...which I took today... but this is the thing - I have never been a big fan of pink. NOW I am a BIG fan of PINK!!  Beast cancer is still the #1 cause of death for women followed  by heart disease.  I'm going to kick this cancer's butt and then I am going to do all I can to support and educate people to find a cure for this killer disease. I don't want another woman to go through the fear, pain and all the emotions associated with breast cancer.  I'm fighting like a girl and I'm going to win!














4 comments:

  1. Jeri-You are SO beautiful and you pull off the bald look better than you give yourself credit for! We pray for you everyday. I hope you continue to have mild side effects and those nasty drugs wipe out every cell of cancer in your body! Stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW - can't believe that platelet count - it's better than mine ! a far cry indeed! Know you are in my prayers - and sending happy thoughts. You look great by the way - you're a beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful and amazing! We are soo grateful you are letting us share in this so much by writing about it! Alan and Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope an pray you go through Round 2 without being too sick. Jeri you are looking great and don't you ever forget it. Love you tons! Colette

    ReplyDelete