Friday, December 7, 2012

The Bell Rang!

Friday December 7, which is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day (somehow that seems fitting) was my 6th and FINAL round of chemo for two really rotten drugs!!  Taxotere and Carboplatin are the culprits!  



Scott and I leaving for #6 (I get him to smile and it's blurry)


I, again, first met with Dr. Bott.  He reviewed my blood work - and I must say it was worthy of an A!  Both the white and red blood counts were good.  The white blood cell count was only 1 point below normal.  And... wait for it....... my platelet count is still at a wonderful  335,000.  YES!  I get such a thrill out of my platelet count as Scott, Dr. Bott and I have done battle for YEARS with those tough little platelets.  Dr. Bott, however, was concerned with my side effects from the Taxotere.  Apparently Taxotere and I don't play nice together and I have all the rotten stuff going on.  He contemplated not giving me the Taxotere at all (as I have neuropathy in both my feet and hands, the horrible watering eyes, etc.) but in the end decided to give me half the dose hoping my side effects won't get worse.  FINGERS CROSSED TO HOPING (and praying).  

After Dr. Bott - off to the chemo room we go for my chemo cocktail.  Scott and I took 2 dozen Christmas sugar cookies with us today.  I wanted to thank all the wonderful people that have worked with me and my peeps in the chemo room.  They were delicious and everyone seemed to enjoy them.  (Plug here for Lehi Bakery... BEST EVER!) 

HOURS later I was done!!  Nothing too exciting other than feeling itchy this time.  (That got everyone's attention.)  But thankfully all seems good - no allergic reaction.  After the nurse popped the catheter out of my port, she handed me a bottle of sparkling cider to take home and celebrate.  She told me to "go RING THAT BELL!"  

The saying above the bell


 
Me and the bell!

I wanted to make sure I was really eligible to ring the bell as I do have 17 more chemo treatments.  Everyone said YES as I finished one treatment with the crappy nasty mean drugs.  I guess I will get to ring the bell a second time when I finish this next round!

Anyway, I gave that bell three hard rings. EVERYONE cheered and clapped and I let out a big "WAHOOOOOOOO"  and then cried!  Oh my gosh.... this treatment has been so emotional and tough.  I'm not done - I still need to get through the next couple of weeks with the side effects.  I could end up with this neuropathy for the rest of my life. BUT I just completed ANOTHER milestone on my trek to kick cancer!

Scott and I had a celebratory dinner.  He ordered from Texas Roadhouse because I wanted a steak (hadn't eaten all day).  My body is in slow-mo tonight so eating in was my hearts desire.  

Quiet dinner for two  (I need an ice bucket - ha!)

CHEERS!  Another milestone
Next up - December 26th is my next chemo treatment with just Herceptin.  It will be in American Fork now instead of going to Provo.  The chemo infusion is about an hour.  Gone are those 5 hour chemo days!  After that - in January I will undergo another reconstruction surgery.  THAT will be another milestone!  I wonder if there's a bell there.......


You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell
You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell
You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell
You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell
(1979 Anita Ward)




2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Congrats! I can totally hear you singing Ring my Bell and dancing along to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Bell Down...We are so proud of you.Both Bruce and I have tears and know this is going to work. We wish to yell yahoo with you and the bell!! We love you so much,


    Love Bruce and Margie

    ReplyDelete