Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful For It All

Thanksgiving was my dad's favorite holiday.  It's my brother's favorite as well.  This year, Thanksgiving has become my favorite.  Not for the food (but that's delicious anyway), not for the Turkey bowls or football games (however, I love football) but for the sheer joy of being alive and able to express thankfulness. 

Rick came "home" this year again.  YEH!  He has made it every year since he moved to Portland.  He was joined by Jenni and her family, Jamie and Jayden and Scott's nephew Nick, for Thanksgiving dinner at our house.  As we started eating, Rick suggested that we each state one thing we are thankful for.  I decided at that time that I needed to write a "thankful" blog. I want to remember what this year has reminded me of and given me.  



Scott
When I told Scott that the doctor said it was cancer - he cried.  He cried for me. He cried for us and he cried for my kids.  He has listened to my meltdowns, he has held me when I've hurt.  He's got up at night to help me. He has sat through long hours of doctor's appointments and chemo and has waited on me hand and foot.  When people ask him how he is doing - he will say fine and then say "Jeri is the one that needs support".... even though he does too.  He has amazing empathy.  He will buy bags of potatoes and take good clothes to the homeless shelter throughout the year.  He'll drop what he is doing to help one of our kids or a neighbor.  He is the kindest person I know.  My kids love him, my mother loved him and I know my dad will love him.  I certainly do.  My brother told me that the one bright spot with me having cancer is that I am married to Scott.  He is so right!  My life is better with him in it.



Children
My children have always kept me going whenever things in my life have been tough.  I wouldn't have survived past challenges without them and they are a strong reason why I am doing everything I can to kick cancer. I LOVE technology!!  Rusty and Collette will text or call to check on me and also SKYPE often so I can watch Owen grow. Rick will call or text to see how I am doing. His girlfriend, Anna, texts me almost as much!  Randy and Annie both check on my regularly,  Jenni visits and/or calls daily and Lynn asks how I'm doing.  I know they all "have my back".  I know they were all terribly hurt this summer when I called with my cancer news.  But they have been cheering me on. My grandchildren light up my life.  They are truly the bright spot in each day.  It is said that ones children are a reflection of oneself.  Well, I certainly did something right in my life to have all of these wonderful people - Rusty, Collette, Owen, Randy, Annie, Hank, Max, Sam, Jenni, Lynn, Dyson, Colby, Lennon, Rick and Anna in my life. 


 Extended family and friends
Cousins, nieces, nephews, in-laws, friends I haven't seen in years, friends I see daily and neighbors have been checking on me, praying for me, feeding me, running errands for me.  The most amazing thing is having people I don't know tell me they are praying for me.  It is overwhelming and very humbling to have that kind of support in your life. 

Supervisors
I can't begin to express how grateful I am for the continued support and understanding of both mine and Scott's supervisors. My supervisor has been so gracious to work around my surgery, treatments and side effects.  Scott's supervisor has been the same.  I am so grateful for my job, the people that I work with and the agency where I work.  

Chemotherapy
I'm extremely grateful for the advancement in chemotherapy for the type of breast cancer I have.  Seven years ago I would have been told to get my affairs in order.  I may get sick, I may hate the side effects but I am so lucky and so thankful for chemo.

The Atonement
I am thankful for the love and blessings from a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the blessings of the Atonement.  The Atonement is not only about Christ taking on the sins of the world but also the pain and suffering.  I know because of the Savior's experience in Gethsemane and His sacrifice that He understands what I am experiencing. I have been blessed with comfort and peace throughout this time.  I know I am loved. 

Life
I am grateful to be alive!  I try to enjoy each day even when it's a tough day...compared to the alternative - I'll take it!  Life is good.  That is why we all fight to stay in it as long as we can.  I love my life.  I'm grateful for all of my experiences - good and bad.  Each experience makes us the person who we are.  I like who I am.

My early New Year's Resolution is to NOT wait for Thanksgiving to think about being thankful.  My resolution is to be thankful every day of the year.

I am so lucky and so thankful!







No comments:

Post a Comment