Sunday, October 13, 2013

Making Strides 2013

Let's make BIGGER strides and END Cancer - All kinds
Let's research treatments that work against Stage IV cancers

SATURDAY OCTOBER 12, 2013 - American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Once again I had amazing support with so many family and friends that showed up at Liberty Park.  I also had support from numerous family and friends that could not be there.  Believe me, every single person's support means SO much!!  THANK YOU, truly, from the bottom of my heart.  I love you all so much!!

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  For several weeks I have experienced a bad pain in the back of my leg, behind my knee.  Once you've had cancer these things make you a little nervous.  I felt around (many times) for anything that resembled a lump.  FINALLY on Monday I called the doctor's office. The nurse was concerned that it might be a blood clot so I went in for an x-ray and ultimately an ultra sound.  It turned out to be a "bakers cyst" which is fluid collecting.  I was given 800 mg Ibuprofen and told that sometimes exercise will help.  Ok - hard to exercise when you can't walk but.....  Anyway, Friday night it was very very painful and I could hardly walk by the time I went to bed.  MY walk (that I had been planning on for months) was the next morning!!!  I was awake most of the night elevating my leg and doing the ice pack thing.  

Saturday morning - Wahoooo - it felt better!  I could walk without too much of a limp.  Scott and I donned our Walkers For Knockers shirts and headed up to Salt Lake City to meet our team!! 

Walkers For Knockers 2013

I had some great supports again this year!!  I can always count on Scott.  He was the official photographer for me.  Plus my "crutch" after the walk.


Scott and I leaving for the walk

I appreciate and am grateful that Jenni, Lynn and kids and Randy, Annie and kids live close and that they have been so supportive of me this past year.  They are all so busy with their own lives.  

Jenni, Dyson, Colby, Lennon and I



Randy, Annie, Hank, Max, Sam and I

From Scott's family - Nick, Cameron, Tiffany and McKennah came to walk with us.  Nick has actually worn a 'pink' bracelet in support of finding a cure for Breast Cancer for over one year.

Cameron, Tiffany and McKennah

Nick, me, Hank, Janell

I was fortunate to have some good friends show up as well.  Helen and I reconnected via Facebook.  Helen is actually my former (step) daughter in-law. She and her brother, Andrew,  came. They actually ran the walk but it was great to see them.

Andrew, Helen, me, Colby, Hank
My amazing friends Janell and Angie both came.  Angie's husband Chad and their daughter came with her.  Jenni's friends (and mine!) Meisha (she came last year) and Kelly came as well as their daughters.


me, Angie, Chad, Mattie, Janell
Meisha, Jenni, Kelly

AND there was MORE support from those who couldn't make the walk.  Rusty, Collette and Owen back in Wisconsin.  Rick and Anna in Portland.  My sister Sheryl in Arizona and my brother Alan, his wife Pam and daughter Nicki in Las Vegas.  My nephew Daniel attending dental school, Scott's brother Bruce in St George and his ENTIRE family.  My amazing and special friends Jill and Charlotte (aka Charly).  

My sweet Wisconsin family
Rusty, Collette and Owen


My cute Portland couple
Rick and Anna

My sister Sheryl in Arizona
She even wore her shirt to the  doctor's office


My brother Alan, his wife Pam and daughter Nicki
Las Vegas

Nephew Daniel - dental school
Las Vegas

Bruce and Margie Boyle and their family
St George

Amazing friend Jill
(she's waiting for knee surgery so couldn't walk)

SUPER HERO friend Charly (aka Charlotte)
My cancer/chemo buddy! 

So many other family and friends supported me in my walk with well wishes and thoughts AS WELL AS supported me throughout this past year!  I am so grateful and love you all!

More random pictures from the walk~

Max and Hank had pink hair 

Starting out

And we're off!!

Jenni, Kelly, Meisha and kids

Coming in at the end

Annie and Sam

We made it!!
 That evening Scott and I went up to Sugar House Park for Charly's 'LIGHT the Night Walk' for Leukemia to support her and her family.  That was another great event!  We received a lantern (light for the walk).  Yellow was In Remembrance,  White was Survivor and Red was Supporter.  They gave me a White as I'm a cancer-y person too.  It really was an amazing site to watch all those colors walk around Sugar House park in the dark.  

Team Charly's Angels

Grateful that I could 'Light the Night' for Charly!

It was an amazing day!


No comments:

Post a Comment