Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Begrudge Me Not

I have read comments on Facebook and on several blogs from women (mostly stage IV breast cancer) who HATE all the pink in October. They are upset with the way that supporting "pink" has become a way for a person or an organization to "make a buck".  I am in total agreement that there are a lot of people abusing the fight and/or cause of Pink and breast cancer. I can appreciate and somewhat support their opinion.  I don't like people using Breast Cancer as a way to get others to support their trips to a run or bike in a race.  I don't like the little pink packages and all the pink items in the stores that will donate very little, if anything, to finding treatments for advance cancer.  People are making money off of others sympathy and concern.  It's not right.

I do not know what it feels like to be at Stage IV with breast cancer.  I hope I will never find out.  However, I do know what it is like to be scared about what being diagnosed with cancer means, worried about how much things will change and praying that the chemo works.  I know what it's like to "look" alright on the outside but feel lousy on the inside.  I know what it's like to wake up in the morning and have a meltdown because you don't want to receive another treatment of chemo.  I know what it's like to see the hurt and tears in your loved ones eyes.

I support the "pink" American Cancer Society walk. I support their quest to finish the fight and get a cure for cancer. I have a team name.  The name would totally offend those that "hate" pink and think the world as a whole is making "light" of breast cancer.  Believe me, nothing about Breast Cancer is "light". This cancer has changed my life forever. It's taken things from me - physical things - that I will never get back.  My daughter suggested the name of my team while I was in the mist of chemo treatments and recovering from surgery. We knew cancer was terrible. The surgery was horrible - the chemo treatments were becoming more brutal with their side effects.  We didn't want to dwell on terrible.  We wanted to be able to wear pink, do a walk and smile.



I found at the ACS walk last year, a lot of support.  Yes, there was some rah rah rah-ing going on (we didn't get into that).  Yes, there was a lot of pink and booths with free items.  BUT there were also a lot of women there that had gone through a similar experience as I was experiencing.  There was SUPPORT.  

So while my Stage IV cancer sisters might not like the support I give in wearing a T-shirt and doing a walk with ACS - I want them to realize I do this for the support I receive.  I would ask that their criticism be directed to those that do not use the money raised, appropriately. I would ask that they do not begrudge me for where I go or what I do for support.  I wish for a cure for cancer - especially late stage.  I pray for that and for them, daily.  

BTW... I'm really not a fan of pink!  


Cure Cancer
Beat Cancer
End Cancer




4 comments:

  1. I love this. You're great at expressing your heart through writing (that's my way of saying don't ever stop writing this blog)! I love that you've done your research and can confidently support ACS. The only part I COMPLETELY disagree with you about is the whole not being a fan of pink!! WHAT?!?! ;) I really wish Rick and I could be there for the walk, but we'll be wearing our shirts loud and proud! Love you, Jeri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I guess I like pink a little more now :) At least I like that it brings people together~

      Delete
  2. I love it! You are one tough person and you've earned the right to name your team whatever feels right. You are supporting a great cause and are an amazing person. Go Team Walkers for Knockers!!

    ReplyDelete