Thursday, March 21, 2013

N E D - what's it all about!

No  Evidence of Disease - N E D !!!

Thursday (March 21) I went for another round of chemo (Herceptin).  I meet with my doctor prior to the infusion.  He is such a gentleman - he offers his hand and helps me onto the examine table.  Then the conversation begins....
 
Doc:  "Do you have any cancer concerns?"
Me:  "Cancer concers?  Cancer concerns me...."
Doc:  "Have you felt any new lumps or bumps or anything questionable?"
Me:  "No.  Should I??"  (always afraid I'll have the wrong answer)

Then my gentlemanly doctor pokes, pushes, looks and listens to my body.

Doc: "You look good. I don't see anything that's of concern."
Me:  "So.... am   I... you know... NED?"
Doc:  "YES!  You have No Evidence of Cancer.  You are NED."
Me:  "Can I tell people that?" 
Doc:  (chuckles)  "Yes you can."

So PEOPLE of my blog world... I'm NED!!

It's rather strange.  I'm not jumping up and down and doing cartwheels like one would expect.  It feels like that time, not too many months ago, when I was told I had cancer.                      SURREAL

PLUS I'm never really out of the woods.  IT can come back to haunt me again.  I still emotionally have cancer.  This might take me a little time to get over..... and move on.... and forget.  Hmmm I will never forget.

BUT.. I don't want to drag down my blog today. I'm grateful that the chemo has/is working! Today I celebrated with chocolate and a Pepsi!! 

I will still be doing treatments.  7 more Herceptin infusions.  I will continue to take Arimidex (poison pill) for 5 years... to try and keep this beast away.  As a side note - reading about Arimidex - this little pill seems to increase  my survival odds....yes, we like that!  So, after doing all the chemo and continuing with Herceptin and Arimidex - according to the American Cancer Society - I have a 87.5% chance of making 2 years cancer free.  Pretty good odds!!     QUICK - knock on wood!

Anyway THREE cheers
N E D - Rah Rah Rah!!!

NED - 21Mar2013
 




4 comments:

  1. I don't think anything could drag down the mood of your blog when NED has it up so high!!! That is FANTASTIC news Jeri!! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog, but loved the phone call even more. You're a precious lady! We knew this news was coming...but it's still so thrilling to hear!! YAYY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I think this calls for some celebration. You fought the hardest fight imaginable, and you have such great family and support network to stand behind you while you keep fighting. Hooray NED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cheers for you!!! Here's to hoping you remain NED forever!

    ReplyDelete