Thursday, February 6, 2014

Goodbye and Thanks!!


I've decided it's time to end my "cancer" blog.  I have been following blogs of people with cancer that just... stop.  There is never another post - never an ending.  You don't know if they are sick, or worse yet, passed away or if they have just gone on with life and stopped writing. 

I love to read - books have endings. So, as I am approaching my one year of NED (no evidence of disease) I felt it's time to end. I still have my port which I'm hoping to get removed in the next few months. I'll be having some type of IV to help my bones for the next few years as chemo messed them up. I still need to decide about the tattoos for the FOOBs - though I am still leaning towards the daisies. I am still seeing the oncologist every 6 weeks. I still panic when I feel some new bump/lump. I have gained WAY too much weight (25 lbs) - while enjoying lots of "comfort" food the past 18 months. My knee is doing so much better so I'm ready to start back on yoga and seriously get healthy again. Right now cancer seems to be either on the run or hiding from me. It if again shows it's ugly face, I'll be back writing but for now my life is slowly getting back on track. Or at least moving to a new track. For the record during January and first few days of February:

I celebrated another birthday - Wahoooo!!


Nothing wrong in getting older!

I went to see P!NK in concert - another Wahooo!!  

Nothing wrong in having FUN!!

Or acting younger!!

I celebrated Rick's and Hanks' birthday as well as wished Collette a long distance happy day!!   


Handsome son!


Can't believe he's 9! Good looking kid~

Before I shut down this blog... I do have ONE MORE cancer story. It's really more a chemo story.  CHEMO BRAIN.  This really exists....


Rick and Anna came to Utah to celebrate Rick's 30th birthday.  The day before his birthday I called the bakery I always order cake from - Kohler's in Lehi.  I ordered a delicious cake!!  That afternoon Scott, Rick, Anna and I went to the cabin - stayed the night and came back Saturday afternoon.  Plans were for all the adults to meet for a birthday dinner that evening and birthday cake with the kids on Sunday.  I quickly ran to Kohler's to pick up Rick's cake.  The gal there could not find my cake!  I told her what I had ordered, I even told her that I had mentioned, when ordering, how much I loved their cakes and have been ordering from them for years.  The gal was embarrassed and called the baker.  He didn't remember the order.  So she pulled out a cake that had been on display but just made that morning.  She wrote "Happy 30th Birthday Rick" on it and sold it to me for half the cost.  All was well... things worked out fine so I was good.  I'm walking to my car and my cell rings.  "Hi Jeri. This is Lehi Bakery. We are closing in 20 minutes and your cake is still here". 


 S E R I O U S L Y!!!  

I had ordered the BIRTHDAY CAKE from another bakery!!  So, needless to say.... Rick had TWO birthday cakes.  This is a funny story in and of itself but combine it with all the memory issues I'm having and it became the perfect storm.  I think I cried for an hour about how I am turning into a crazy lady.  Chemo brain is REAL!!  Ohhh... btw - we had no trouble devouring two cakes and they were both delicious!

I am so grateful that I wrote my experiences in this blog.  This truly helped me put words to what I was feeling and going through.  A side benefit for me was seeing all the many people that read and supported me through my diagnosis, surgeries and chemo.  I have so many amazing people that I am thankful for.  Many I know - many I do not.  To whomever reads my blog.. Thank YOU.  Thank You for your support, prayers, good thoughts and wishes.  Thank you for validating my feelings by reading my words.  I wish everyone good health and joy in  your life.


Beginning

Middle

End


Goodbye and Thanks!!


6 comments:

  1. I love you Jeri , you are such an example of grace under fire! You are brave and strong and wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jeri. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeri, much I as I enjoy your input into Chemo Chat, from your health point of view (i.e. remission or no sign) I truely hope that your fellow CC warriors never have to hear from you, and I sincerely wish the bestest life from here on in. Good luck sweetie, take care and be strong. Luv and best wishes Tom, Minty n Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing!
    Margaret Blair Young

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you are ending this blog on a good note. Long battle -- you fought the fight courageously ~ and we all love you for it. Best Wishes & Good Health for the rest of your life God Bless ((hugs)) & Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading your blog Jeri. I could feel your enthusiasm, excitement, hope and happiness in this last post. You've amazed me every step of the way and continue to do so. I love you to pieces and wish you all the health and happiness you so deserve!

    ReplyDelete